There is a time in everybody’s life when we have to decide whether we ought to keep our elders at home or in the residential nursing home. For the safety of our parents and stability in their health and well-being, we have to take strict decisions. Then come residential Care Home Worksop where they provide all the facilities which cannot be available or at home. These nursing homes have many benefits like trained physicians, onsite doctor’s help, and 24*7 emergency facilities. Nevertheless, with so many advantages many people still feel that there are many drawbacks of moving their loved ones to the nursing home.
- High-cost nursing homes: the nursing home units are not at all cost-effective. In India, most elder individuals are allowed to buy housing units that range from Rs. 35 to 80 lakhs, while assisted living requires Rs 6 lakhs deposited and approx. Rs 50,000 rental per month, which includes nursing and furnished accommodation. However, there were many low-cost, homes but they are not well equipped with seniors’ facilities. If you or your family do not have sufficient financial support, choosing this option will be quite difficult.
- Depressing environment: this is one of the major drawbacks of keeping your seniors in an old age home. Your seniors are most attached to their home and uprooting them from there and keeping them in a nursing home can cause dejection for most elders. Aside from being a huge change, many fear shifting their loved ones to the nursing home as they see themselves as the final step before the end of their life.
- Loss of self-determination and freedom: Home is the best place where older folks live freely. They are accustomed to the place as they are living there for many years. In a house, they can live freely, eat whatever they want, and roam freely. However, when admitted to a nursing home they lose their independence and self-esteem. They have to stay there according to the rules and regulations and have to eat and roam according to the institution. The nursing home has full control over its residents.
- Propinquity to a family member: Keeping your older parents in a residential home is very difficult when you do not have this type of unit near your home. These types of institutions were often located far away from the locality for a pleasant environment. Family members of older citizens often have to drive long during the weekend to meet them. However, sometimes they can’t meet regularly, this, in turn, increase the feeling of loneliness and harder to create a family bond among the older residents. They lack the family presence and love. Staffs do their best for building community among residents but for older folks, they are not still their family.
- Probability of sub-quality staff: there are many incidents where we heard nursing homes would not able to provide the care facility. Besides, some report shows that 85% of nursing homes do not have the sufficient number of staffs. This can cause poor supervision and increase the chances of risk and major accidents. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the family members to do extensive research before shifting their older parents. Moreover, ensure that receive sufficient care, love, and attention.